Volunteer Requirements for Working with Children
We must provide safe environments for the children and youth and hold ALL adults who work with minors to a code of conduct that is Christ-centered and professional. The Safe Environment Program implemented by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Baton Rouge requires us to evaluate the background of all diocesan/eparchial and parish/school or other paid personnel and volunteers whose duties include ongoing, unsupervised contact with minors.
Any parent/adult (18 and older) wanting to volunteer with children on the Sacred Heart of Jesus campus must fulfill the following requirements as mandated by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and the Diocese of Baton Rouge.
To volunteer in the school:
1. You must be fingerprinted and background checked by the State of Louisiana.*
2. You must submit to a criminal background screening by completing the EAPPS Form for Volunteers which includes background information and background check history. The information on this form will be entered into a data base for the Diocese of Baton Rouge. Provide a copy of your current Driver’s Licence with this form.
3. You must read the Code of Ethics for Volunteers and Employees and sign and return the Signature form.
4. You must complete the The Save and Sacred Online Training and print the certificate provided upon completion. All these items must be submitted to Eris Wiggins, Child Protection Coordinator for Sacred Heart School.
*Contact the Sacred Heart School Office to obtain the paperwork.
To volunteer in parish ministries outside of the school:
1. You must submit to a criminal background screening by completing the EAPPS Form for Volunteers. The information on this form will be entered into a data base for the Diocese of Baton Rouge. Provide a copy of your current Driver’s Licence with this form. Please note: If you plan to volunteer at both the School and Parish, you must fulfill the background check and fingerprint requirements of the school.*
2. You must read the Code of Ethics for Volunteers and Employees and sign and return the Signature form.
3. You must complete the The Safe and Sacred Online Test and print the certificate provided upon completion.
Submit all these items to Tiffany Dykes, Child Protection Coordinator at the Sacred Heart Parish Office.
SAFE AND SACRED TRAINING
Safe and Sacred is a video presentation designed to help persons identify, prevent and report child abuse. It is offered by the Diocese of Baton Rouge as part of the ongoing commitment of the Catholic Church to employees and volunteers who are responsible for ministry to children and young people.
9:00 a.m. & 11:00 a.m.
8:00 a.m. Novena to Our Mother of Perpetual Help follows.
8:00 a.m. with the school (when school is in session)
Thursday & Friday
9:00 a.m. (except on the First Friday of the Month when Mass is at 12:00 noon)
First Friday of the month
Mass & Novena to the Sacred Heart of Jesus at 12:00 noon.
Confessions at 11:00 a.m
Tuesday 7:30 a.m.
Thursday & Friday 8:30 a.m. (except the first Friday of the month)
Saturday 3:00-3:45 p.m. and by appointment.